Andrew Mell LMT,CNMT
New York State Licensed Massage Therapist, 1988
Pennsylvania State Licensed Massage Therapist 2012
Completed Sports Massage Therapy Training, 1991
Certified Neuromuscular Massage Therapist, 1994
Traditional Thai Massage Therapist, 1996
Lymph Drainage Therapy, Chikly Method, 2000
Reiki Master, 2000
Tibetan Heart Yoga, 2009
Mehta Natural Face Lift Massage, 2012
- Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance, Magna cum Laude, Temple University 1979
- Private studies, Oriental Deep Tissue Massage, Craig Denega, Philadelphia, 1982-84
- Shiatsu I & II, Ohashi Institute, NYC 1986
- Complete Massage Therapist Training Curriculum, Swedish Institute, NYC 1986-87
- Soma Bodywork-Neuro-Muscular Integration; private overview with Alan Brown, Dipl. Acc, 1987
- Lymphatic and Medical Massage; tutelage under Linda Li DC, NYC 1987-89
- Cranio-Sacral Therapy 1 & 2; Somato-Emotional Release; Muscle Energy 1; Upledger Institute, Palm Beach, FL
- Sports Massage Accreditation Program; Sports Massage Training Institute, Costa Mesa CA1990-91
- Neuro-Muscular Massage Therapy Certification Program, St John Neuro-Muscular Massage Therapy Seminars, Largo, FL 1991-94
- Somatic Education I; Blue Sky Educational Foundation, Milwaukee, WI 1994
- Vinyasa Yoga Therapy; studies with Gary Kraftsow and JJ Paul Alix, 1995-96
- Soft Tissue Release Technique; British Institute of Sports Therapy, UK 1995
- Traditional Thai Massage and Vipassana Yoga; Society for Traditional Yoga and Thai Massage, Chaing Mai, Thailand 1996
- Anatomy of Yoga; Breathe Trust, Inc,Leslie Kaminoff, NYC 1996-97
- Lymph Drainage Therapy, LDT 1, 2 & 3; Bruno Chikly MD, 1996-2000
- Tachyon Healing Techniques; Dr Ramesh, Dubai 2002-04
- Vedic Healing; Dr Ramesh, Dubai 2004
- Tibetan Heart Yoga, Levels 1-8, Yoga Studies Institute, Tuscon,AZ 2006-09
- Philosophy of Yoga courses: Yoga Sutra 1-4; Hatha Yoga Pradipika 1-4, Bhagavad Gita 1-2; Yoga Studies Institute, Tuscon AZ 2006-09
- Mehta Natural Face Lift Massage, Champissage International, London 2012
- Zero Balancing 1 & 2; NYC,2014-2015
- Certified Myoskeletal Therapist Program, Freedom from Pain Institute 2018-
Practice Philosophy: Reduce Pain -Restore Function -Increase Awareness
My job is to assist clients in releasing physical patterns that restrict movement or are otherwise limiting. Working together, we can successfully minimize or eliminate improper alignment, and facilitate increased awareness of the body's optimum function.
Stress reduction and education are keys to success in thriving in this world.
With each client, I observe their structural alignment, watch their movement patterns and discuss their "take" on how they are feeling. Then I deconstruct "holding patterns", restore range of motion and frequently recommend stretches or exercises that would be useful.
My Introduction to Massage...or Why I learned it and Why I do it
After graduating from college with a degree in Vocal performance, my son was born. In order to provide for my family, I ended up installing seamless aluminum gutters, siding and roofs. After 3 significant falls, I had a lot of leg, hip and back pain (luckily, I always landed on my feet). I met a Master Oriental Deep Massage Therapist, who completely deconstructed my legs - hips -back, all quite intensely, but marvelously with great success! No more pain!
I then began to study with him because I wanted to be able to help others in the same way he assisted me, hopefully with a bit less discomfort in the process.
This has been my motivation ever since.